Sunday 20 January 2013

Muhtesem Yuzyil: SELEN ÖZTÜRK:


This is a short interview that I did with Selen Ozturk who plays Gulfem in Muhtesem Yuzyil. I asked her what were the life lessons that helped her throughout her life; surprisingly she has some very fresh ideas.

SELEN ÖZTÜRK

©Maryam Ismail 2012

Selen Özturk dreamed of becoming an actress as a teenager. This dream came true when she won a scholarship to Hacettepe University’s Actors’ Conservatory.  She currently stars as Gülfem Haseki Sultan, mother of Murad Şezade and the wife of Sultan Suleyman the Magnificent in the Turkish television series Muhtşem Yuzyil. 

 Child’s Play:

Never give up your childhood instincts. This has been one of my cardinal rules. I use my playfulness to make me more creative, proactive and courageous in my personal as well as in my professional life. Life is a gift; in it we get only one childhood. Keeping the blessing of this experience (the inner child) alive continuously keeps us pure, alive and happy. Like a child I am not afraid to try new things, to be spontaneous or to dreams beyond the limit. And that’s why I will never let my my inner child die.                                          

First Know Yourself and You’ll find Out What You Want:

It is so important to know yourself; to be self aware and to discover new facets of one’s personality along the way. When I was 14, I saw a musical play and realized that I wanted to be a actor. I had to work hard and make a lot of sacrifices to achieve this goal. Because I was passionate and committed to follow this path, I didn’t really have much difficulty to persuade my family to support my decision.

Afterward, I realized that I had to study and become more aware of the world around me. I began this journey by reading vociferously, traveling, making careful observations and learning more about people-all these things became part of this path I’ve chosen. I know that these adventures, challenges and fun will continue non-stop with each step forward. There you have it, a professional journey without a final destination.
Let the Music Move You:

Music has been a big part of my life since early childhood. I sing, play the piano and guitar. My name is Selen which means ‘’sound’’ in Turkish. And so I’m living according to my name. I find my way by following the sound and rhythm of life. And one day this love of music led me to acting; that’s when I decided to spend my life pursuing both. All the theater productions I’ve performed in have been musicals. Hopefully it will continue on this way.

Believe In Your Dreams:

I love to dream. Every chance I get, I let myself just drift off into these dreams. They bring me great joy and happiness and hope. As a child I used to imagine myself as a character in the cartoons I liked to watch. And now I’m lending my voice to a lot of these cartoons. So you might say that I’ve in some way achieved this dream of being one of these hilarious characters. That’s fun, don’t you think?

Another dream of mine was to be a character in a period piece-grand costumes, larger-than-life sets, and a magical atmosphere. Every little girl’s dream is to be a princess in fairy tale. And now, in Muhtesem, I am just that-a lady in a palace, in a wonderful, historical, TV series. As you can imagine, I am having a ball. All of this proves that you should never ever give up on you dreams, they just might come true.

The Power of Love:

Every choice I make is motivated by love. Love, for me is the essence of life and great source of power. It’s a positive kind of power that I’d like contribute to. Every relationship in my life is formed out of a sense of love. As is my choice of profession–acting. Love is a divine emotion, strengthening our bond with life. In order to be a full human being, one has to have defined, experienced and known love. Only through discovering love, one can really truly enjoy success and happiness.

Maryam Ismail

No comments:

Post a Comment